Wash and go’s are easy and convenient, and they can last for a while once you get your technique down. It has been common wisdom that in order to grow your hair or retain your length, you need to use protective styles all or most of the time. You may think I’m crazy to even suggest it but if actually is possible to retain length and see growth with this style. Here are my five tips for retaining length on a wash and go regimen.
1. Choose your products wisely. Wash and go’s require products to help avoid tangles, split ends and for moisture retention. If you’re a product junkie like I am, this step might come naturally to you. Do some experimentation with different shampoos, conditioners, creams, butters and gels to get your wash and go to behave the way you want it to.
2. Keep your hair clean, conditioned and well moisturized. Product buildup will surely interfere with any style that you’re going for, as well as with the health of your hair. Regular deep conditioning is also a must – use one that is good quality for best results, and keep it in for at least 20 minutes.
3. And.. More conditioning. Use a leave-in conditioner, as well. A leave -in will help to tame frizz and retain moisture. Experiment until you find a brand that works for your hair.
4. Refresh your wash and go when you need to. This could be every couple of days or maybe every fourth day. It all depends on how your hair looks and feels to you.
5. Keep it moisturized. I’m sure you guessed this one. Always begin your wash and go with a water-based moisturizer before you use your styling product or sealant.
If you’re strict with your wash and go routine, you will not only retain length but you will also see growth. Use the right amount and the right type of product, your wash and go’s will thrive. Use these five tips for retaining length on a wash and go regimen and you’ll be rocking it in no time.