New Year’s Day has come and gone! How are your resolutions going? If fitness and getting in shape are important to you, there is no reason to let your natural hair get in the way. Here are 7 tips for working out with natural hair.
1. Ease up on the tension. Tension on your hairline is easily caused by metal clips, hair pins and elastics. Protect your hair from breakage by skipping over them in favor of a cloth headband or a head scarf.
2. Stay away from heat and air dry your hair after your workout. Heat is only causing potential damage to your tresses. Blow dryers, flat irons and all the rest of them put stress on your hair, leading to breakage.
3. Eat whole, fresh, nutritious foods. You’re into fitness already, so maybe you know how important it is to eat right. Exercise promotes hair growth by bringing blood flow to the hair follicle and of course, you are what you eat. Your hair is made of protein and it protects itself with sebum, which is made from fat, so be sure to get plenty of healthy fats and protein in your diet.
4. Wear a protective hairstyle. If you work out often, consider wearing a protective style until wash day. Alternatively, to protect your hair from sweat, wear your hair in a bun, a high ponytail, or twists and braids.
5. Work out in cool weather. This will reduce the amount of sweat dripping into your hair, causing frizziness. Try to avoid, for example, running outdoors during high noon in the summer.
6. Have a plan. It can be totally overwhelming to want to work out on those three days, while you need to wash your hair on that day, and you want to have a certain look for your work hours, etc. Having a set regimen will take some the stress out of your life.
7. My old fallback – moisturize your hair. You knew this one was coming. If your working out intensely for more than four hours a week, you should be washing your hair no less than twice a week with shampoo. Combat dryness by using a water-based moisturizer in your hair every single day, several times a day.
There you have it, my 7 tips for working out with natural hair. Have fun working out and looking great while you’re at it!