Having healthy hair depends on what you put into your body as well as what you put on your hair.
It’s a well-known fact that shampoo tends to be harsh on African American tresses. The general problem that seems to plague black hair is it tends to dry easily and the lack of moisture can cause hair to be quite unmanageable; and severe dryness can cause breakage due to lack of elasticity, leading to hair damage. So, what are the best shampoos and cleansers for cleaning buildup off of the hair and scalp, without stripping it?
Let’s take a look.
How do you choose a moisturizing shampoo?
The main characteristics to look out for when purchasing moisturizing shampoo are as followed:
- Alcohol-Free Shampoo – First and foremost the moisturizing shampoo has to be gentle. Safeguard your hair against losing more of its natural oil. You must therefore avoid shampoos with alcohol or its derivatives.
- pH-Balanced Shampoo – The natural pH of your hair is about 5. To keep the outer cuticle closed and maintain the shine of your hair, you have to ensure that your hair’s pH is kept at a normal level. Look for moisturizing shampoo with a pH from 4.5 – 5.5. It should take your hair back to a stable balance. Also if the label says it has anti-static ingredients (such as trimethyl alkonium chloride or ammonium chloride) to prevent or eliminate fly away hair, it is what you are looking for. Be aware that the ideal moisturizing shampoos also contain the buffering agent sodium citrate, which is a compound that releases more acidifying ions when acidity is low and absorbs acid when acidity is too high.
- Shampoo with Natural Moisturizing Oil – Use oil-based moisturizing shampoo to seal in water. This keeps your hair moisturized longer. Go for moisturizing shampoos that contains natural oils like jojoba, avocado, grape seed, tea tree oil, olive oil, coconut oil and emu oil. Don’t confuse natural oil with mineral oil. You should never use mineral oil-based shampoo as it causes residue build up and increase dryness and brittleness. For products for dry black hair, look for emu oil or jojoba oil as primary active ingredients..
- Creamy Hydrating Shampoo – Clear, gel based shampoos contain a large quantity of detergent and tend to dry out your hair. Be sure you opt for the creamier type of moisturizing shampoos.
Top 10 Moisturizing Shampoos For Black Hair
So you’ve familiarized yourself with what to look out for when buying shampoo, but are you just looking for specific recommendations? Here’s what My Black Hair Salon Magazine recommends as the best moisturizing shampoos to buy:
Moisture Boosting Shampoo Description and Benefits:
This stimulating shampoo contains multiple natural extracts including Seaweed, Algae & Sea Kelp with a hint of essential oils that will get your hair healthy and keep it there. Delivers omega 3 and omega 6 essential acids to each hair strand which helps return the hair to its optimal 8% moisture level. Detangles, softens and hydrates the hair as it cleanses the hair and scalp. Infuses the hair with moisture without product build-up.
Size: 8 fl. oz.
Where to Buy: Hydratherma Naturals
2. Karen’s Body Beautiful Ultimate Conditioning Shampoo
Designed for dry, color or chemically treated hair, Karen’s Ultimate Conditioning Shampoo cleans and moisturizes your tresses without stripping them. Perfect for dry, thirsty hair.
Size: 200 ml.
Where to Buy: Karen’s Body Beautiful
3. Elucence’s Moisture Benefits Shampoo
This gentle cleansing shampoo contains peach extract, irish moss, ginseng and wheat protein — all of which moisturize and condition hair without weighing it down. Moisture Benefits Shampoo soothes and replenishes, leaving your hair feeling healthy and refreshed. Available in 10 oz., Litre and Gallon.
Price: $6.00 – 12.00
Size: 10 fl. oz. – 1 liter
Where to Buy: Curl Mart
4. Zipporah’s Delight My Hair Moisturizing Shampoo
Our Moisturizing Shampoo is power-packed with amazing ingredients like Aloe Juice,Shea,and Coconut Milk to give your hair optimum moisture, while gently cleansing your scalp & hair of dirt & debris. Great for all hair types!!
Size: 8 fl. oz
Where to Buy: Zipporah Beauty
5. Redken’s Clear Moisture Shampoo
Redken’s exclusive Interbond Conditioning System delivers moisturizing apricot oil that combines with glucosamine and glycerin to form a unique Micro-Moisture Complex. This ultra-light blend helps restore, rebalance and retain the optimum level without over moisturizing.
Price: $13 – $23
Size: 10.1 – 33.8 fl. oz
Where to Buy: Redken Online
6. Giovanni’s Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo
This luxurious lather soothes dry, chemically treated processed hair. Magically seals color into color-treated hair and creates a vibrant gloss.
Size: 8.5 fl. oz
Where to Buy: Walmart
7. Renpure’s My Pretty Hair is Parched! Moisturizing Shampoo
This formula contains Pomegranate Juice and Pomegranate Extract which helps restore normal moisture levels. It also contains Silk Protein which is used to repair damage and Olive Leaf Extracts which are used to smooth and repair split ends.
Size: 13.5 fl. oz
Where to Buy: Renpure Online
8. All Ways Natural’s My Pretty Hair is Parched! Moisturizing Shampoo
All Ways Natural Shampoo, made with our exclusive moisturizing formula, is a blend of natures finest herbs and oils to replenish your hairs natural moisture. Our mild, low sudsing formula gently cleanses without stripping your hair of its natural oils, leaving it healthy and full of body. Regular use of All Ways Natural Shampoo will leave your hair with a beautiful, healthy shine that is all yours… Naturally.
Size: 12 fl. oz
Where to Buy: Hair Products .com
9. Unscented Babassu Shampoo Bar
Our Babassu Shampoo Bar cleanses your tresses and clarifies your scalp without stripping the natural oil from your hair.
Size: 110 grams (3.88 oz)
Where to Buy: Anita Grant .com
10. Alikay Naturals’ Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo
Get clean hair Naturally. Made from Raw Black Soap, this shampoo is great at cleaning the hair without stripping it of its natural oils. It leaves your hair moisturized and soft. It is watery form so no thickening agents have been added. Scent is tropical and fruity. This Product is 100% Natural and 100% Organic Directions: Apply directly to the scalp and massage in to create lather. It is in a watery form so apply in small amounts at a time. It is concentrated, so not much is needed. Even if shampoo doesn’t lather a lot, it still cleans your hair. Rinse hair well, condition and style as usual Hair tip: For best results when shampooing don’t scrub hair in circular motion, it causes friction which causes hair breakage and tangling.
Size: 8 fl. oz
Where to Buy: Black Onyx
Do you have any suggestions you would like to add? If so, please share below!!! Thanks