There are just so many benefits to steaming your hair, but this method can be cost prohibitive to some. As enticing as the benefits can be, benefits such as less breakage, less shedding, less need for product and more moisture retention, many of us just can’t afford a home steamer. You may be pleased to learn that there is a method to steaming your hair without a steamer.
When you steam your hair, you use moist heat on your hair with a humid environment. This warm humidity is great for adding moisture to your hair without the downside of hydral fatigue. Steam allows you to add moisture to your hair without the wear and tear of using water.
Steaming your hair also allows the ingredients in any products you use to penetrate more deeply into the strands of your hair.
To steam your hair without a steamer, follow these simple steps.
1. Wash and detangle your hair.
2. Saturate your hair with your conditioner of choice.
3. Place a plastic cap on, over your hair.
4. Take a towel and soak it in very warm water or, soak it in water and then microwave it for 2 – 3 minutes.
5. Wring the towel out a bit and wrap it around your head.
6. Cover the towel with a plastic bag, so the steam is held in.
7. Stay put for at least half an hour, up to two hours.
8. Rinse your hair with cool water to lock in the moisture from the steam.
All naturals know how important moisture is. Without enough, you will experience dryness, brittle hair, breakage and eventually, damaged hair. Steaming your hair is an ideal way to add moisture to your hair. If you can’t afford to purchase a steamer – and many of us can’t! – you can always steam your hair without a steamer and get all of the benefits you would get with a top of the line machine.