No matter what your ultimate goal is for your hair, you may have setbacks in your journey. Here are some tips on how to stick to and achieve your hair goal, whatever it may be.
1. Make sure your hair goal is realistic. If you have very coarse, dark hair, don’t expect to wake up one day with bone straight, blonde hair. Not without lots of chemicals, anyway! Many of us naturals focus on length, but the health of your hair should really be of greater importance.
2. Make your routine habitual. When you find a regimen that works for you, have set times to do what you have to do. If your hair goals are important to you, set time aside for things like deep conditioning, steaming, moisturizing and generally taking care of your hair.
3. Stay motivated. Find a hair twin to follow on YouTube or Tumblr who is where you would like to be. Use these videos and pictures to propel you to where you want to be. But remember, no two people have the same exact hair, and it is unlikely that you will ever look exactly like someone else. You can also use visualization to help you on your journey.
4. Rejoice in the small victories. If your goal is length, remember that even very healthy hair grows relatively slowly, so it’s ok to be happy about small strides. If your hair is too dry or brittle, it’s ok to feel satisfied when you’ve gone a whole week moisturizing your hair.
5. Have patience! Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s extremely important to keep your perspective. Your hair is important to you, but there are starving children in the world.
6. Be accountable. Get a hair buddy who you can answer to. Your buddy can make sure that you’re doing the things that you’re supposed to do.
Remember, you can deal with the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. Use these tips and you’ll see how to stick to and achieve your hair goal.