What is My Hair Type?
Let us start by quickly looking at the biochemistry and biology at the rear of your oh so lovely naturally curly hair. You’re blessed with possibly curly, wavy or straight hair. The amount of disulfide determines the degree of wave, curl or absence thereof you have. The disulfide ties within the base which is part of your hair shaft. Therefore the higher the linkage number, the curlier your hair, and also the less the amount of links, the straighter your hair.
Tresses are mainly made up of keratin, healthy proteins, which develops within the foillicle of your hair. Keratins, and various proteins, are developed within the cells from the hair follicle. The proteins are a part of the shaft of your hair which consist of sulfur atoms. When there are two sulfur atoms that connect, they create what is called a disulfide relationship. Should the two sulfur atoms within the exact same proteins be far away from each other, and be a component of one another, they make the disulfide relationship, and therefore the protein will fold. This is the way your curls are made.
Andre Walker, Oprah’s very talented hair stylist, spent some time working out a natural hair type system. His system is the first of it’s kind to help define hair textures. This typing method groups numerous hair structure and breaks each hair kind into 4 kinds with additional sub groups. I believe this chart is extremely helpful when figuring out what products are best for your own hair texture. To save you time, we’ve come up with these helpful graphs describing the various kinds of hair textures and some tips on how to maintain them
You’ll learn the different types of curly hair patterns: Types 1,2,3,4 and there subcategories a,b,c. Nevertheless, you have to understand that this method has its own constraints. To begin, most curly head individual have a minimum of 2 various textures of hair on their head, therefore the hair typing system is somewhat limited. Furthermore there are plenty of distinct sub groups that may be put into every one of the curly portions categories that may exceed the basic category that was created. Nevertheless, I do think this chart creation is the best way of classifying hair to this date. Now let’s dig into the different types of hair according to the Andrea Walker System
Hair that is Straight Falls into Category 1.
Straight hair has the most sheen reflection. Out of all the hair types it is the most resilient, and therefore doesn’t damage too easily. It is also the most oily hair texture; due to the fact the natural oil called sebum (produced in the sebaceous glands on the scalp) easily glides from the scalp to the ends without having to deal with curls or kinks.
1A Hair Type
Hair that is Wavy Falls into Category 2.
Wavy Hair is placed somewhere within straight and curly hair. Along with straight hair it also reflects sheen very well. The more along the wavy range you go, the less amount of shine the hair will pass on. Wavy hair generally tends to frizz. Although type A waves can certainly change among straight and curly styles, type B and C Wavy hair is resistant against styling.
2a Hair Type 2b Hair Type 2c Hair Type
Tips for Wavy Hair:
- Stay away from heavy products that will weight the hair down. Use lighter products such as mousses and light gel to enhance your waves.
- Allow your hair to air dry or use a diffuser
- To avoid frizz do not use a comb or brush on dry curls
- Prevent your hair from tangling by sleeping on a pillow case made of satin
- Keep your fingers out of your waves as well, the more you play in your hair the more it will frizz
Subcategories Are: Type 2a Hair, Type 2b Hair, Type 2c Hair
Hair that is Curly Falls into Category 3.
If you observe a strand of Type 3 Hair, you will notice a very distinctive S form. The S shape can come in the form of a upper case S or a lower case s. In some instances it may even appear to have a sort of Z shape. Nevertheless, there’s a distinctive curl pattern without having products in the hair. Naturally curly hair is very full bodied, and temperamental to weather (humidity equates to frizz), and injury susceptible. Insufficient proper hair products will result in lifeless curls.
Curly hair is very moody. If you use an excessive amount of hair styling product in this type of hair, your results will be no body, greasy appearing curls. If you do not utilize enough hair styling product in this type of hair, your result may be a 80’s afro. The solution for ensuring trouble free, non frizz curls is to use the proper amount of good styling products.
3a Hair 3b Hair 3c Hair
Tips for Curly hair:
- Use frizz control products for type 3a hair & type 3b hair
- Allow your hair to air dry or use a diffuser
- To avoid a frizz do not use a comb or brush on dry hair
- Sleep on a Satin pillow case to avoid tangling your hair
- For Type 3c Hairuse butters, oils and styling creams
- Type 3c hair is more fragile and therefore needs extra moisture and TLC because of its tendency to be fragile
- For Type 3c Hair use lots of conditioner when detangling and use a large tooth comb or detangling brush
Hair that is Kinky Falls into Category 4.
Inspite of a lot of misguided beliefs, this firmly coiled curly hair is very fine and delicate. It’s wiry, and fragile naturally. Every single follicle typically has a curl, coil or zig zag design. Kinky locks are the driest hair kind, as a result it is prone to damage and needs a delicate touch. A false impression prevails this hair kind doesn’t grow. Kinky tresses will grow with the identical rate as other texture, nevertheless, if not taken care of appropriately it breaks greater than other textures. Take care of this hair kind just like a fine silk shirt – clean delicately, detangle gently, and steer clear of severe chemical substances.
Type 4A hair is identified as possessing a much more distinct curl structure than subtype 4B hair. It’s not just firmly curled however when extended it will make much more of an S form similar to curly hair.
Type 4B hair is identified as a lesser amount of defined curls in which the hair bends in a Z structure and it has a cotton like feel to it.
And lastly Type 4C hair is considered the most delicate as a result of undefined curls from the hair, and in addition really dry and fragile. Since it is so dry it must be handled delicately rather than brushed by using a bristle brush given it can hook the ends and cause breakage.
4a Hair 4b Hair 4c Hair
Tips for Kinky Naturally Curly Hair:
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize
- This hair type requires extra moisture content daily
- Use a rich and creamy, sulfate free, moisturizing cleaner, follow having a extremely moisturizing strengthener, prepare having a rich moisturizer and style having a rich lotion, filled with herbal oils and abundant butters.
- Search for moisturizing lotions, organic conditioning agents, and spectacular extracts to provide moisture to these tresses.
- Steer clear of mineral, and petrolatum oil and heavy waxes.
- Use a satin bonnet, scarf or pillow case to avoid tangling
- Allow your hair to air dry or use a dry hood
- Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls unless you’re going a fro look.
- Use a lot of conditioner to help detangle your kinky naturally curly hair, and use a large tooth comb