So many of us chase after an image of ourselves with long, thick hair. While some of us may have achieved that goal, it can be difficult to hold on to once it is attained. So, here are my top 6 tips for length retention. This is especially for you if your growth rate is below average.
1. Don’t break your hair. Now, before you say “duh,” and move on, it’s so easy to ignore a few strands breaking here and there when you are detangling. This is a big mistake! You may think you’re being gentle and don’t consider it a problem when you hear the pop! of breaking strands, but it is a big deal.
2. Speaking of detangling, don’t overdo it. However you choose to style your hair, remember that every strand really doesn’t need to be detangled from tip to root. When you detangle your hair, you want to take care of complex knots and hair that is tightly meshed together. It is nearly impossible to fully detangle kinky hair, so don’t do damage to yourself trying!
3. Keep protective styles in for the right length of time. If you take your protective style down too early, you won’t get the benefits of seeing gains in length, but keeping it in too long with result in meshing, knots and possibly, locs.
4. Wash your hair in sections to avoid unnecessary tangles. Section your hair off into twists or braids held together with clips to prevent the dreaded breakage.
5. Don’t fear scissors if you need them. If your ends are damaged, not trimming your hair may be stymieing your growth. As scary as it may sound, a trim a few times a month may help you on your journey.
I hope my top 6 tips for length retention are helpful!
If you have any tips you would like to share, please do so below…….